Frequently Asked Questions
What age range is child care provided for?
- Ages 0-13
- If there are special needs as determined by a physician, children ages 13-18 may also be eligible
Is there a limit to the number of hours my provider can watch my children each day?
- Yes, a provider can only be paid for a maximum of 18 hours per day
I work third shift. Can the Department of Job and Family Services pay for a child care provider while I sleep?
- Sleep time is determined on a case-by-case basis, but not to exceed 8 hours per day
I am unemployed and looking for work. Will you pay for child care during this time?
- No. In order to receive subsidized child care, the care must be provided while you are at work, school, or participating in an OWF program.
I only use child care 2 days in the month. Do I still owe the entire co-payment (fee)?
- If the cost of child care for the month is less than the co-payment, you pay the actual cost of care to your provider
What are the income guidelines to receive child care?
|Family Size||Maximum Income Limit for Initial Application Eligibility* (130% of FPL)
||Maximum Income Limit for Transitional Eligibility* (150% of FPL)||Maximum Income Limit for Ongoing, Renewal and Reinstatement Eligibility* (300% of FPL)|
* These Amounts are determined using the 2020 Federal Poverty Guidelines as published in the Federal Register on February 1, 2020.
I want to be certified as a child care provider with Lorain County Department of Job and Family Services. What do I have to do, and how long will it take?
- Contact the LCDJFS Child Care Provider supervisor at (440) 284-4436
- Several documents, like fingerprint cards and references, need to be submitted to us and reviewed for approval. A background check is run, and a home inspection is completed
- The average length of time for certification is 12 weeks
Will you pay someone to come into MY home and care for my children?
Can I take my children to a Day Care Center?
- Yes. For a list of child care providers in the area, use the following link: http://www.odjfs.state.oh.us/cdc/query.asp