2021 Emergency Utility Assistance Program
For your convenience, you can upload required documents through this portal.
Uploading inappropriate content, in violation of LCDJFS Policy, will result in your application immediately being denied.
Additional action may be taken.
LCDJFS will begin offering our 2021 COVID Utility Assistance starting March 17, 2021. Assistance is limited to up to three consecutive months of arrearages and some fees back to April 1, 2020.
Funds are available for a very limited time and residents should apply immediately. Completing the Request for Assistance form will hold your place in line, and you will be contacted to determine eligibility and complete your application.
Staff time will be dedicated to processing applications. The Agency will not be taking phone calls due to staffing constraints. Applicants will receive emailed updates which can be shared with utility companies as needed.
- Must be behind on utility or disconnected, AND
- Must live at or below 80 percent of the Area Median Income ($60,800 for a family of four in 2020 see below), AND
- Must have been directly affected by COVID-19 (loss of income, increased expenses, etc.), OR
- Be a member of a population especially vulnerable to COVID-19
- Photo ID
- Social Security cards of all household members. If a member does not have a Social Security card, a birth certificate is needed. If you have recently applied for a card, an official letter from the Social Security office with the number printed on it and stating your card is in process is acceptable.
- Income information for the past 90 days for all household members over 18, even if they are still in school. This includes check stubs, social security and, in some cases, child support. Income from self-employment requires additional documentation. For a complete list of income that must be counted, click here.
- Any household member over 18 claiming no income must complete an affidavit. Click here for a downloadable copy.
- Copy of your most recent utility bill(s).
- A statement on how you have been impacted by COVID-19.
Payments may only be made directly to utility companies Payments charged to credit cards are not eligible for assistance or reimbursement.
Applications with all required documents will be processed on a first come, first served basis. Applications waiting on required documents will be passed over and, in fairness to other applicants in need of assistance, not processed until all documents are received. You will receive email status updates as your application is moved through processing. You will also be contacted by an LCDJFS staff member and provided with their contact information as they work to assist you.