What is MBIWD?
- Medicaid Buy-In for Workers with Disabilities, or MBIWD, is an Ohio Medicaid program that gives disabled Ohioans a chance to work and retain Medicaid coverage
Who is eligible for MBIWD?
The following criteria must be met for the individual applying:
- U.S. CItizen or qualified alien
- Ohio resident
- ages 16-64
- Determined to be disabled by either Social Security Administration or State of Ohio
What are the financial and non-financial eligibility requirements?
- Own resources (assets such as a vehicle, bank accounts, and property) valuing less than $11,645
- Annual income of the individual must be less than or equal to 250% of the Federal Poverty Level (in 2017, $29,700 per year or $2,475 per month)
Does MBIWD have a monthly premium?
- You may have a monthly premium if your annual gross income exceeds 150% of the Federal Poverty Level (in 2017, $17,820 per year or $1485 per month)
- Premiums are based on income, family size, and certain deductions such as health insurance premiums
- If subject to a premium, you will receive a monthly statement requesting payment of the premium
- Failure to pay the premium for two consecutive months results in termination of MBIWD; eligibility can only be regained by paying all back premiums due as well as by meeting all other eligibility requirements of the program
For further information, please visit the following links: